Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Totally awesomely amazingly insanely fucking brilliant!

So I put on the black eye shadow and blood red lipstick and off I went - well, no I didn't. But I did wear my t-shirt from the 2000 Bloodflowers tour for a bit of cred. :)
I got there a bit too early but that gave me time to buy new t-shirts, have a drink or two (pricey on both counts!) and go back to the car to stash t-shirts and GET CAMERA! Yes, cameras were allowed. But, lenses had to be 200mm or less and no tripods. So I snapped a few early on - haven't looked yet to see if any worked. The joint was jumpin' and so was I, so it's a fair bet they'll all be a bit on the wobbly side. If any worked I'll upload them later.
The show. The show was magnificent. No keyboard player this time so they didn't do many of the moody, atmospheric pieces from Disintegration, Bloodflowers or Faith. I was a bit disappointed with that at first but, in the end, it didn't matter. Man, they rocked! Two guitars, bass and drums. Robert Smith is an underrated guitarist and his voice was in mighty fine form. He doesn't move about much, just does this little shuffle, almost on the spot.
They did Pictures of You - awesome, but not A Forest, sadly. It's always been the closing song but, for some reason, they've dropped it from the set. No matter. There were plenty of worthy replacements. Lots of stuff off Head On The Door and Kiss, Kiss, Kiss. Primary from Faith. In Between Days. Close to Me. The list goes on and on. Did I mention that they rocked? There was a bit too much echo/delay used in a couple of songs I thought - probably trying to make up for having no keyboards - but, overall, the sound was amazing. Loud, but not painfully so. Just a brilliant band.
They did three encores and the last one was just awesome. They came back out and played almost a complete set of old stuff from the first album from way back in 1979 - Three Imaginary Boys, Boys Don't Cry, Grinding Halt, 10.15 Saturday Night, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Fire In Cairo and finished with Killing an Arab.
The show started just after 8 and finished after 11. I got my money's worth ten times over.
Did someone mention Just Like Heaven?

8 comments:

Janet said...

I am SO glad it was everything you'd hoped for and more!!!

What size lens did you use?

Julie said...

It was. If they tour the States - make the effort!

theEldritch said...

Defiantly have to agree that it was a fantastic night! Was down on the floor only metres from the centre of the stage, brilliant!
Sadly I didn't have a camera so I'm hunting for shots others took. Saw many people around me take some good ones with their phones.
And what a great set.

Shirl said...

aww, it's too bad you had such a down night *grin*

I can feel you jumping around way over here!!!

Julie said...

the eldritch - is that a Sisters Of Mercy reference by any chance? Down the front would have been excellent but my old bones prefer a seat these days. :)

Shirl - hahaha. The only downer was the absence of A Forest. More than enough compensation though.

Sudeaux Lux said...

Finally got here...

I bet you're still riding on a Cure high!! I can't believe they played 3 full hours! Nobody hardly does that anymore, do they? When they love what they do it really makes for a kickass show. So glad you had great fun. Now, I'll go look at those photos.

Diane and Jack said...

Yay! and they let you take the camera in too. Awesome. :)

Julie said...

It's a`shame they only did the one show. I'd go again in a flash!