Monday, August 06, 2007

Mr Brooks - go see it!

Saw this last night. Kevin as serial killer. I really liked it. I'd read a bit about it before so kind of knew what to expect but it still surprised me. Mr Brooks is basically the all-round nice guy, family man, successful business man but is addicted to killing. So he goes to AA meetings to try to keep a lid on it. But he's egged on by Marshall, his alter-ego, played beautifully by William Hurt. No-one else can see or hear Marshall, he's all in Mr Brooks' head. Then there's the cop, Demi Moore, on the case. She's busy battling demons of her own but they kinda get in the way of Mr Brooks' story at times.
There are several scenes of Mr Brooks and Marshall discussing/arguing whether to kill again or not - Kevin and William Hurt are really good together. There are a couple of bits where they are totally in sync that are just downright creepy.
And then there's the plotline based around the daughter - has she inherited her father's killer genes?
Kevin is excellent in this film - I know, I'm biased, but he really is. You can see the guy struggling to curb his desire to feed the addiction, then succumbing to it, then struggling with it. You almost feel sorry for him even though he's evil. And evil he is!
Great film. Highly recommended.
Mr Brooks

8 comments:

Diane and Jack said...

I have not even heard of this one, sounds interesting.
I like William Hurt, last film I saw of his was Altered States.

Julie said...

It's no secret that I like anything with Kevin in it. :) But this one is really good.

Shirl said...

and I didn't see it. *sigh* I must be losing my Kevin lust.

Julie said...

That's a shame Shirl, cos he gets naked in this one.

Diane and Jack said...

alright, now you have my attention.

I definitely going to see this one.

Julie said...

Hahahaha

Shirl said...

nekkid kev? When does it come out on DVD????

Julie said...

It's only just opened in theatres here - might already be on DVD over your way.