Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New TV show...

It's called Life on Mars, a BBC production. It's already been through two series in the UK but has just started here. I like it!
The main character, Sam Tyler, is a cop who's investigating a rather nasty murder. He gets hit by a car and ends up in a coma. Or does he? He wakes up and finds himself in 1973. He's still a cop but everything's a little bit different in 1973. He keeps saying stuff like "I need my mobile." and people respond with "mobile what?". When he asks for a PC terminal, they ask "Who?". At one stage he used the phone to try to ring his girlfriend and asks to be connected to the number, which is a mobile number of course. "Is this an overseas call, sir?" "I want to be connected to a Virgin number 0700xxxxxx." Operater: "I'll have none of that sexy talk from you, thank you!" Very funny.
The show is not a comedy though - Tyler doesn't know what's happened to him and is struggling to come to terms with being in 1973.
The show highlights just how much things have changed in a relatively short time (33 years) - communications, technology, forensics, even the role of women in the police force.
I think this might become regular viewing for me.

2 comments:

Janet said...

That show sounds funny as HELL! Wonder if they have it on Netflix...

Julie said...

I think you can see some of it on the BBC site. Follow the link.