Sunday, April 15, 2007

What a week and a half

3500 kilometres there and back.
It took me just over 2 days to get there and a full three to get back.
I arrived at Byron Bay early Friday morning and stayed till midday Wednesday. Got home at about 4pm yesterday.
During the entire time of the festival (Thurs - Mon) it rained. All day, every day. Didn't deter the crowds one bit. There were an estimated 30,000 people there. Because of that I didn't take my camera to the festival itself - I was too worried about it getting soaked, getting banged around in the crowds. I did get some pics around Byron Bay though - shall post those on flickr later.
I had a great time though. We had a cabin in the tourist park within walking distance of the festival site. That made it so much easier.
Saw some awesome acts - Eric Burdon, Larry Carlton and Robben Ford, Ziggy Marley, Bo Diddley, John Butler, Bonnie Raitt, etc etc etc. Could have seen a lot more if I'd wanted to - the music started at lunchtime each day and went through to midnight. We generally made our way over there at about 5 or 6 and then stayed till stumps.
There were 4 huge tents set up (the biggest held about 10,000 people I reckon) and music was playing in all of them. Plus stalls selling all sorts of stuff and food tents galore. The food was good and reasonably priced, the alcohol was expensive. The mud was free.

The highlight of the whole trip? Dolphins. I saw a pod of dolphins swimming past the lighthouse. Awesome. That was a time when I definitely wished I had a bigger lens!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had a good time :-)

Julie said...

It was definitely worth the trip!