Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Finished this yesterday.
Fantastic book.
If you haven't read it I strongly suggest that you do.
It's set in Nazi Germany, 1939-43, and follows the story of the Book Thief - a young girl named Liesel, from the age of 10 to 14. At first I thought the narrator, Death, was a bit flippant with the subject matter but, without me even realising it, the tone of the book subtly changes about half way through. Zusak's use of language is beautiful. I kept rereading passages, not because I didn't understand, but just to savour the language. The theme throughout is about words and the power they have. Zusak writes about words as if they are alive. People don't speak in this book - words tumble, they fall and land at your feet, they float, they refuse to come out.
I will read this book again, but not just yet as it is a powerfully sad story in the end.
I can't stop thinking about it.
My sister, who put me onto the book, thinks it may be the story of Zusak's mother. I don't know if it is but I might try to see if I can find out.
A must read.

No comments: