Saturday, April 22, 2006

bookshop

The best thing about the bookshop, besides the books of course, is the people. So many of our customers just want to talk about their favourite books, favourite authors. Others want to find new authors. I love just swapping info about what we've read, what we've liked, not liked, etc.
Just had a lady in who's a Dorothy Dunnett fan and is struggling to find something else 'cos nothing else is as good. I tend to agree....Dunnett's historical fiction is masterly. Her characters are drawn so deeply and the detail is mesmerising. Francis Crawford of Lymond is a character who will never leave you once you've met him!
Unfortunately, she died a few years ago so there won't be anymore. Sigh.

1 comment:

Folly said...

I agree absolutely about Dunnett. After finishing The Lymond Chronicals for the first time, I couldn't settle on anything for several months. I'd start something, but there was no "magic".

The funny thing was that I didn't even fully appreciate the superb quality of her writing in that first read--I was too caught up in the plot. I think Dunnett is one of those rare authors whose genius makes itself more apparent with every read.

Anyway, I've recovered my ability to read other authors, but I now know not to try anything that might have potential immediately after a Dunnett re-read. It wouldn't be fair to place a beautiful jewel next to the Hope Diamond.

Meanwhile, if you do come up with any suggestions please post them!